Vanilla Forums Documentation
You can contribute to these docs via the GitHub repository.
- API - describes the exclusive API for cloud clients.
- Cloud Services - for cloud-based professional services.
- Developers - for open source developers & site owners.
- Features - using Vanilla (covers both open source and cloud exclusives).
- Theming - building a Vanilla theme.
Why go cloud-hosted?
- No installation, upgrades, backups, maintenance, or testing required.
- Very best stability, security, and scaling possible of any forum solution.
- Professional on-call support and services to help and guide you.
- A far better value than self-hosting medium- to enterprise-scale sites.
Why go open source?
- Community is just getting started or is a hobby.
- Tight budget but plenty of time to invest.
- Value tinkering & creativity over stability & scaling.
- Require a major customization that isn't cost-effective in the cloud.
We're confident you won't want to leave our cloud solution once you've tried it, but there is no lock-in. Our cloud solution is fully compatible with our open source code and we provide full data exports on demand.
We offer free, professional imports from self-hosted Vanilla 2 installations whenever your community is ready to upgrade.