We’ve rebuilt Vanilla’s API from the ground up to enable tighter integrations and lower-level access to all of Vanilla’s features using an API-first strategy. The initial release will provide feature partiy with our API v1. New endpoints will become available as they are completed, so watch for new product announcements.
Looking for Api v1 docs?
Take me there.
Key improvements in API v2
- More authentication options, including per-user access tokens.
- Complete, custom API docs in your dashboard, including examples you can use immediately.
- More endpoints so you can control more of your site from the API.
- Cross-origin resource sharing (CORS) support.
- Greater functional consistency, and higher conformance to current industry best practices.
- Better automated testing, to reduce regression bugs and unwanted changes.
We use 2 types of pagination in the API:
- Numbered pagination
- Used where possible.
- Have access to first, last, previous and next pages.
- More pagination
- Used where querying the totals of a particular resource would not be performant.
- Have access to first, previous and next pages.
Resources that support pagination have
limit parameters. For example:
Since the API returns an array of records, the paging information is sent using the Link header.
Link header example:
Link: <https://forum.example.com/api/v2/users?page=1&limit=100>; rel="first",
The example includes a line breaks for readability.
Depending on the pagination type, the following
rel values are possible:
|The link relation for the first page of records.
|The link relation for the last page of records.
|The link relation for the immediate previous page of records. Only available if page > 1.
|The link relation for the immediate next page of records. Only available if more records are available.
Note: results per pages can be lower than limit even if more pages are available. This is due to rows being removed based on the current user’s permissions. It is also possible to have empty pages for the same reason.
Paging-Next header will always be present when more rows are available.
We believe that online communities should be intuitive, engaging and true to your brand. Vanilla allows you to create a customized community that rewards positive participation, automatically curates content and lets members drive moderation.
Learn More …