Custom Domain for Your Forum Community
Instead of having your community url look like this: mysite.vanillacommunity.com, it can look like this: mysite.com or community.mysite.com. It’s a simple, two-step process that we recommend for all new forum owners. Please note that you must purchase or create your desired url from a domain registrar before customizing your Vanilla Forums domain.
- Log in to the domain name registrar where your domain is hosted (ex. GoDaddy, Rackspace, etc.)
- In your Admin control panel, create a DNS record for your domain so that it points at our servers. You have two choices here:
- If you want to use a subdomain (community.mysite.com) create a CName record for your domain that points to your Vanilla address: mysite.vanillacommunity.com
- If you want to use a top level domain (mysite.com) create an A Record for your domain, using your forum’s IP address.
- Back in your Vanilla Dashboard, you’ll notice a Custom Domain menu under the Appearance category. Enter your custom domain on that page.
How to find your forum’s IP address:
To look up your IP address:
Choose “Lookup” from the list of radio buttons
Enter your forum name (mysite.vanillacommunity.com) in the long box, select “Go”
Look further down the page, it will list your IP address
If you’d like to use the HTTPS protocol and insert an SSL certificate, follow the instructions here.
We believe that online communities should be intuitive, engaging and true to your brand. Vanilla allows you to create a customized community that rewards positive participation, automatically curates content and lets members drive moderation.
Learn More …