Vanilla 2.7 (16 Aug 2018)
New: Rich Editor
- Whole new posting UI, built from the ground up, that replaces the Advanced Editor.
- Available as an addon so you can transition at your own pace.
- Features rich embeds from popular content sites like YouTube, Twitter, and more.
- Generates generic rich embeds from any publicly accessible website.
- Intuitive inline formatting options replace the old permanent toolbar paradigm.
- Full emoji selector.
- Drag-and-drop image uploader.
- Native support for quotes, spoilers, and code blocks.
- Packed with accessibility features and shortcut keys.
- Read about its new features in our docs.
New: Groups features (Cloud only)
- Add “secret” groups (groups that are completely invisible if not a member).
- Add search support to groups.
- Add a group invitations list to the groups homepage.
- Improve ability to join a group from an email notification.
New: Firebase SSO addon (Cloud only)
- Provide SSO support for Google’s Firebase product.
- Available on request.
- Fix Advanced Search results double HTML escaping.
- Fix LinkedIn SVG.
- Fix broken signout URL in embed comment form. (thanks bleistivt)
- Fix category dropdown when editing drafts with old ‘DoHeadings’ setting enabled.
- Fix handling of manually applied Ranks in edit user form that could block saving users.
- Fix drafts double escaping special characters.
- ProfileExtender: add Instagram magic formatting. (thanks bleistivt)
- Tagging: Enable their use on Ideas.
- Bulk Users Importer: Do not validate usernames when importing users.
- Q&A: Fix recalculation of discussions’ Q&A status.
- Steam Connect: Fix broken SSO connections (Steam’s endpoint moved to HTTPS).
- Ideation: Fix double index photos. (Cloud only)
- Improve accessibility by adding placeholder/title for text areas.
noindex to Reactions profile pages.
- Add translation support for “All” and “Following” in category following filter menus.
- Disable hashtags within post contents by default.
- Add support for seconds-only time parameter to YouTube embeds.
- Add JSON LD microformat to discussion pages.
- Make minor aesthetic improvements to Dashboard, including using Open Sans font.
- Default Vanilla Stats to use HTTPS.
- Add ability to expand category to index of discussions endpoint.
- Fix filtering by Group on the discussions API v2 endpoint.
- Online: Add APIv1 capabilities to APIv2.
- Fix some API schema documentation bugs.
- Add TypeScript, React, Redux, and WebPack support to core.
- Format drafts as plaintext instead of text. (vanilla/vanilla#7181)
- Add Parchment & Quill dependencies via new Rich Editor addon.
- Respect scalar type hints in endpoint parameters. (vanilla/vanilla#6922)
- Fix “Active” class on edit profile link not appearing under specific circumstances. (vanilla/vanilla#6907)
- Add ability to override theme per contoller. (vanilla/vanilla#7048) (thanks Csabbencs)
- Add ability to write integration tests on non-core repos.
- Add coding standards enforcement to product repos.
- Add PageScraper class (vanilla/vanilla#7104, #7139)
- Deprecate the
val() function. (vanilla/vanilla#7534)
- Add classes to pager module to improve ability to style. (vanilla/vanilla#7608)
Vanilla 2.6 p4 (9 May 2018)
- Removed canonical URLs from our 404 views.
- Fixed a bug that caused announcements to be filtered out of recent discussions intermittently
- Added a script that allows Bootstrap3, Cornerstone, Deflector and Triple A themes to opt into autocomplete search results.
- Removed category following filter from pages where it is irrelevant.
- Added a check to prevent Ideation from displaying the New Idea option to users without the appropriate permission.
- Fixed score calculation on discussions converted to ideas so that unrelated reactions no longer inappropriately adjust the total votes.
- Added whitelist exceptions to our new MIME type validator for file uploads.
- Fixed a memory issue that was causing the Bulk Importer to fail.
- Fixed a memory issue that was associated with Advanced Search
- Fixed a conflict that was causing the Groups page to crash
All fixes below this line were included in the open source 2.6 release, where applicable.
Vanilla 2.6 p3 (9 May 2018)
- Fix translations for file upload error messages.
- Fix subcommunities disabling “New Idea” button.
- Fix Google+ SSO link to signin.
- Fix deletion of items in moderation queue.
- Fix filtering followed categories on deep branch (performance issue).
- Fix “time left to edit” messages.
- Fix bookmarking of discussions in Groups.
- Fix idea API edits not being reflected on discussion pages.
- Make ‘image upload’ button on by default in Editor.
- Security fix related to remote page info fetching.
Vanilla 2.6 p2 (19 April 2018)
- Fix user search by IP never returning results
- Restore breadcrumb to the bottom of discussions.
- Add more logging jsConnect to asssit debugging.
- Fix issue where drafts could be overwritten.
- Fix issue where the database was being over-queried (introduced in 2.6).
- Increase subcommunity page limit to 100.
- Adjust comment editing permission checks to avoid re-querying the database unnecessarily.
Vanilla 2.6 p1 (12 April 2018)
- Filter values sent over SAML before putting them into the User table to prevent accidental overwrites.
- Author Selector: Fix broken menu option.
- Fix Bootstrap 1 theme’s navigation.
- Add caching to subcommunity query for the default site to reduce database load.
- Fix ability to delete items in moderation logs.
- Fix spider crawling errors for non-existent pages.
- Add logging to JSConnect to assist in debugging.
Vanilla 2.6 (5 April 2018)
- Users may now “Follow” categories.
- Recent Discussions page may be filtered to only show discussions from followed categories.
- This feature must be enabled in the Dashboard.
- Enabling it adds a new menu to the Recent Discussions page, so theming conflicts should be checked.
- We removed the old “Mute” function for categories to make room for this new feature.
Hero Image addon
API v2 new endpoint support for the following features:
Changes & Additions:
- Add Analytics.Data.View permission to grant non-administrators analytics view access.
- API change: A discussion that is an Idea or Question can no longer be updated or deleted from the discussion endpoint. It must use the new Ideation or Q&A endpoints. This prevents loss of data integrity for their current status.
- API: Add pagination information to response headers for multiple endpoints.
- API: Add filtering by archived status to categories endpoint.
- Allow the API v2 to authenticate with API v1 access tokens.
- API docs: Parameters of type ‘enum’ now correctly list all values that are accepted.
- Fix image upload button not always appearing in Advanced Editor and Signature editing.
- Fix filter menus showing for guests on Recent Discussions and categories root.
- Add “none found” message to category pages with no categories.
- Fix image cropper overflow when editing avatars.
- Fix discussion Q&A status for edited and deleted comments.
- Fix Keyword Blocker setting updating user as insert user when editing post.
- Fix broken links to theme documentation from dashboard.
- RoleTracker: Move Untrack option into a popup.
- Reactions: Fix text truncation on profiles.
- Update redirection after adding a category.
- Fix redirect to after deleting group discussion.
- Improve UX when attempting to join a group without being signed in.
- Update System user’s default avatar.
- Accessibility improvements.
- Security enhancements.
Vanilla 2.5 p2 (4 January)
- Bulk User Import: Fix resending of invitations.
- Rename database column GDN_Session.DateExpire to DateExpires to match conventions and fix structure update problem.
These changes were made prior to the open source release of 2.5:
- Fix core version number check to read from environment.php instead of index.php.
- Move addon deprecation hook earlier to disable old HtmLawed addon (now a core feature).
- Fix potential deprecated HtmLawed addon issue in open source installs by including a dummy file in the directory.
- Fix generating user tokens from profile pages.
Vanilla 2.5 p1 (20 December 2017)
- Fix link to the last comment in a discussion (the timestamp link on the discussions table view).
- Groups: Fix issue where clicking Quote could lead to a permission error in Group-related discussions.
- Fix issue that could lead to the discussion title being omitted from notification email subject lines.
Vanilla 2.5 was released to cloud on 6 December 2017 and packaged for official open source distribution on 23 December 2017. Patch-level releases are only made to cloud.
We believe that online communities should be intuitive, engaging and true to your brand. Vanilla allows you to create a customized community that rewards positive participation, automatically curates content and lets members drive moderation.
Learn More …