Vanilla Forums integrates with a number of social applications that you can use as SSO solutions. Learn more about configuring these applications to work with your forum in this section.
This plugin allows you to submit user discussion and comments as GitHub issues.
If you already have a Github account, you need to enable API Access for this plugin to work.
- Create a new application in GitHub, and set the callback URL by appending
/profile/githubconnect to the end of your forum’s URL. (If your forum is at
example.com/forum, your callback URL would be
- Once your application has been set up, you must copy the ClientID and Secret into your Github plugin settings page from your Vanilla dashboard.
- Enter the repositories you want to be allowed into your Github plugin settings page from your Vanilla dashboard.
Facebook Connect allows users to sign in using their Facebook account. You must register your application with Facebook for this plugin to work.
How to set up Facebook Connect
In order to set up Facebook Connect, you must create an “application” in Facebook at: https://developers.facebook.com/apps
Once your application has been set up, you must copy the “Application ID” and “Application Secret” into your Facebook plugin settings page from your Vanilla dashboard.
Please note that the ‘Valid oAuth Redirect URI” should be:
https://yoursite.vanillacommunities.com/entry/connect/facebook if you do not have custom domain.
For a complete walk-through of the steps involved, read How to Create a Facebook Application for Vanillaforums Single Sign-On (SSO).
The Google Plus Sign-In adds the ability to sign to your community with Google Plus. You will need to configure your site in Google API Console.
Setting up Google Sign In
- Once you have enabled the Google Sign In Plugin in your Vanilla Dashboard, go to your API Console at Google.
- You will need to create a project.
- Once you have a project, click on the project name. You will be presented with a side menu. Select “Credentials”.
- Under the Credentials Tab in the main content area of the page, click on the Create credentials button and choose “OAuth Client ID”
- Select Web Application as Type.
- You may get a warning ‘Invalid Origin: Domain must be added to the authorised domains list before submitting.‘.
- If so, click on the link provided and navigate to the “ Authorised domains” section to add your domain to the list of trusted domains.
- Don’t forget to save.
- For authorized redirect URL, append “/entry/googlesignin” to the end of your forum’s URL. (If your forum is at
example.com/forum, your redirect URL would be
- Copy over Client ID and Secret into appropriate fields in Vanilla Dashboard.
- If you have never used Google APIs before you will also need to fill in Consent Screen.
Twitter Connect allows users to sign in using their Twitter account. You must register your application with Twitter for this plugin to work.
Register Vanilla with Twitter at: https://apps.twitter.com/app/new
Set the OAuth 1.0a Callback URLs by appending both
/profile/twitterconnect to the end of your forum’s URL. (If your forum is at
https://community.example.com, your Redirect URLs would be
* The redirect URLs should be HTTPs.
* The redirect URLs should have no following spaces or slashes. (i.e., /entry/connect/twitter/ will not work, while entry/connect/twitter will)
- After registering, copy the “API key” and “API secret key” into your Twitter plugin settings page from your Vanilla dashboard.
Linked In social sign in allows users to sign in using their LinkedIn account. You must register your application with LinkedIn for this addon to work.
How to Set up LinkedIn Social Sign in
- Go to the LinkedIn Developer Network at https://www.linkedin.com/secure/developer/
- Click Add New Application. When you create the application, you can choose what to enter in most fields, but you have to make sure you enter specific information for some fields.
- Under Website URL enter your forum’s root url.
- Under Default Scope make sure you’ve selected at least r_basicprofile and r_emailaddress.
- Set the OAuth 2.0 Redirect URLs by appending both
/profile/linkedinconnect to the end of your forum’s URL. (If your forum is at
example.com/forum, your Redirect URLs would be
- Once your application has been set up, you must copy the Client ID and Client Secret into your LinkedIn plugin settings page from your Vanilla dashboard.
Steam can act as an OpenID provider. This allows your application to authenticate a user’s SteamID without requiring
them to enter their steam username or password on your site . This is done by enabling OpenID then SteamConnect SSO addons,
and configuring steamconnect via its Settings page (Dashboard → Addons → Steam Connect → Settings button).
Setting up social login in Steam Connect
When creating a new SteamConnect connection you will need to fill the following field:
Steam Web API Key you can get this key from steam.
steam dev documentation.